1043 Virginia Ave • Indianapolis, Indiana
The Murphy Arts Center is a 57,000 square foot multi-use commercial building with 27 tenants including 3 restaurants, a concert and special events venue, offices, artists and non-profit organizations. If something is happening in Fountain Square, it's a good bet that it's at the Murphy.
Originally built in the mid 1880’s and 1920’s it is comprised of two buildings, one a commercial storefront with lodging on the second floor, and the other a vaudeville movie house. In 1951 the G.C. Murphy Company purchased both structures and combined them into one 57,000 square foot retail building with stockrooms and management offices on the second and third floors. In 1998 The Murphy Store ceased operations. The building was turned over to a local community development corporation for renovation into a center for the arts and business with retail spaces along Virginia Avenue. It flourished based upon owner occupancy, but by 2006 it began to decline. The building was rescued from foreclosure in September 2009.
The retail Tenants in the Murphy Arts Center include: The Red Lion Grog House; The HiFi; La Margarita Restaurant and Tequila Bar; Pure Restaurant; Well Done Marketing; and Heartland Truly Moving Pictures, a nationally known non-profit arts organization.
The second floor office tenants include numerous individuals and non-profit organizations.